Thursday, January 24, 2008

Tata - After a long time!

People please dont immediately jump to conclusion that I am going to give some of my views on what Nano will achieve and what havoc it will wreak on the Indian roads.

After seven long years - 4 in college and 3 in Bangalore - I have started staying with my Amma now. Bachelors life comes with a lot of freedom and lot of friends. College abounded with friends - Guys like Nitya, Jack, Sathish, Saravana, Prabhu, Kozhi, Srini, Valar, Sudha , Seetha and a zillion other people who were around me. At Perot and in Bangalore too I was in excellent company - Swami, Udhay, Supni, Saravana, SARS, Machi, Caddy, Amogh, Silpa, Kiran, Ctha, Lakshmi, Rashmi, Rahul and Trupti. They were people who were my family for seven years. What my family did not know about me they knew!

But despite this galaxy of friends, there was a kind of loneliness that kept knocking me once in a while. It only increased when I shifted to Sterling Commerce. Having lived in attitudes and cozy comforts of these people I found it difficult to adjust to people at Sterling. Not that the Sterling guys are not a jolly bunch - In fact they are exactly such kind of people. But I am not able to break the ice with a lot of them. Its my problem. Well I am like that. When I first joined Perot this was the exact sentiment that I harbored. But I really did take off!

So the counterattack to my loneliness came in the form of my mom expressing her willingness to stay with me in Bangalore. Life now is a far throw from the indiscipline that marked my last seven years. I wrap up bedsheets, neatly broom my house, switch on the heater only for 15 minutes, clean my bike twice a week, watch less TV, read a lot of books, reduced obscene utterances, reduced time on phone, gathering knowledge about my relatives and the life in Madurai and ...whew the list goes on. This change in me happened without her forcing me to do any of this. So I realized that I am capable of this but just that I want that motivating force. My biggest ambition of life is to keep my mother and father happy. I have worked my back out at times when I felt that they would not be happy with the efforts that I was putting in. During my XI standard when a certain teacher told my mother that at this rate I would become a terrorist :( I mended my ways. When in my college my mom kept motivating me for my placements, I worked like a lunatic from 3am to 10pm mastering every method in the R.S.Aggarwal book on quantitative analysis and the personal interview books. I reduced my driving speed when my parents asked me to. All this for the happiness that comes associated with their happiness. And all that happiness in manifested in a simple tata - or the traditional bye - that my mom bids when I go to office. The first day I did that I was overcome with a strong nostalgia of my school days when my mom, dad, grand pa and grand ma all stood outside the gate to say just the tata. I didnt realize the beauty of it then. Today I feel the power of it!

No comments: